Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Doing things in the New Year without resolutions


I'm not really a New Year's Resolution person because I think they only result in two things: the gym being annoyingly crowded for a month and people feeling disappointed in themselves because they had unrealistic expectations. I do however embrace self reflection as a way to welcome another year, another semester, and another life chapter. I am encouraging myself to do the things which make me feel better; this includes creating more, having more stimulating conversations, and making a new effort to change my diet so I don't feel sickly inside. So I've been instagramming about my "DIY-of-the-day" which isn't always daily, but has included this hairpin made from scrap broken jewelry  vegan banana nutella granola, and from-scratch black bean soup. Making something yourself has a beautiful potential to make one feel empowered.
I have been so excited for those around me lately. Sam has been out trying to make his dreams come true. It is exhilarating and inspiring to see him act on his passions. He i has gone to a handful of open mic nights over the last few weeks, and they have been great experiences. Another one of my friends is finally going back to school for his high school diploma and I am similarly inspired by this burst of motivation he has now.


 
Another thing that makes me feel good is being out in the woods, and being with my lovely partner, so when we were faced with unseasonably warm weather we did some hiking. These were taken on the Mason Dixon Trail, off the Wrightsville entrance. And that night we went out with our lovely couple friends one last time to do some bowling. Sam and I never resist and opportunity to dress for a decade. You can't completely see our wonderful outfits, but we were shooting for 70's and both wore more patterns in one outfit than most people wear in a week. That isn't quite out of the ordinary though. 


These pictures are from Apollo County Park in Brogue, PA.
 Sam won't stop wearing this vest.
 
Additionally, I went on a day trip to Philly by myself to do a tour of an apartment for next year. It's unreal to think that I'll be on my own this summer. The travelling alone was positive for my self assurance because I had a lot of time to develop even more confidence about my decision to move away. I got my tarot card read yesterday and I got the "Spiritual Healer Fairy," which told me to trust my intuition. But now I am less than a week away from going back to campus for a few months and I will miss it. I will miss the morning conversations with my mom, the constant companionship of Sam, the yelling and screaming of my siblings, and the free access to a fully functioning kitchen. The final week is mostly reflective, and has slowed down a good bit. Sam and I are spending our days going out for coffee, cooking breakfast food and reading in each other's company. Goodbyes don't even feel like they are approaching.

Smiles, Morgen.

No comments:

Post a Comment