My brother and his girlfriend picked me up from the station, as I glanced at Downtown Lancaster which had at one point been my source for doses of city life and cultural knowledge. Now it just looked calm in comparison to the constant bustle of Philadelphia. In a hurry I tried to catch up with my brother and explain some of the happenings of living in Philly. When we pulled into the neighborhood that had been home for the past 13 years, I was overcome by deja vu and an uncomfortable confusion. I had thoroughly enjoyed growing up here, but as I walked into my house I realized it wasn't really quite home anymore. Everything was familiar, from my dogs jumping into my lap or the site of my bed. But at the same time, everything had moved on in my absence. My bedroom was covered in my mom's study materials, the bathroom had been redone and there was nobody home to greet me. It was at that moment that I realized I didn't really have a home anywhere, this house was only home in concept and my dorm was only home in practice, but nowhere has the complete feeling of home.
I moved on from this realization, and worked a shift at work before being reunited with the boy. The following day we trekked out to Sam Lewis Park, which was the location of our second date, and a couple other poignant moments in our relationship. In the same way home had gone away, so did our ties with York. The park still has romantic ties, but as Sam said, I'm now part of Philly, not York, and thats my association now.
We went to dinner with Sam's parents and then went to our spot at Maple Donuts. In all the craziness of things not being the same as they used to be, I can promise that the donuts were still equally delicious!
Thankfully I also finally got some DIY supplies so I can go back to doing-it-myself, in the form of yarn for christmas crocheting projects. Also, got to try my hand at cheese making with my dad - we made our own mozzarella balls! It was a lot of fun, but we over developed our cheese and it turned out a little more firmed than we wanted it. I would love to get to explore more cheese making sometime when I actually have a kitchen!
No comments:
Post a Comment