Monday, August 20, 2012

Dwindling Weekend; Part Five THE FINAL COUNTDOWN




        This is the last one. The final countdowns- cue Gob from Arrested Development. My dwindling weekends are finished. In just three days, I’m moving out of the house I’ve grown up in and into my new life in Philadelphia. My room and life are messes with all these preparations for take-off. There are plastic bins and boxes occupying all corners of my room, and goodbyes are happening every day.
        Thursday was the true beginning of it. One half of our best couple friends, Ian, had to leave a whole week before the rest of us because he is playing soccer at school. We are excited for him but quite sad to see him go. The summer has been all the more meaningful with these friends along for the ride, and we will all be there to support each other as we go through the same thing. After some pool side sitting and pizza eating, we gave hugs and good lucks and watched him go. I’m attempting to master the last look as I go through the “see you laters” to friends. Even to acquaintances or fellow employees, that look seems important. I’m collecting them at this point, like Drew from Elizabethtown. We attended one last party that was hosted before everyone started leaving. Even the people I never cared for in high school will stick in my mind.
        Friday is the day one of our larger local farmers markets is open, so Sam and I bought some produce, fish and a pie and made ourselves some stew for lunch, before I had to work on Friday and then Saturday night. I know Ill be back to work on breaks and whatnot, but the fact that I grew up in the restaurant I work in makes each good luck handshake a little bit more honest and a little more sentimental.
           Finally Sunday came around and I did my first round of packing for clothing. I went ahead and picked out the sweaters and pants I’d need once fall got closer. And then it came to my normal outfits; I packed ten skirts and at least twelve dresses. The first chest is practically full and I haven’t packed tops, workout/lounge clothes, tights…basically I’m not even started. Sam and I got together in the evening. We found the most adorable diner in Columbia, called the Columbia Diner. It’s totally old school, with sassy waitress and great coffee to boot. The yummy blueberry pancakes were enough to fill me up for our last outdoor concert at Long’s Park – Joshua James. This summer is being kind to us and allowing us a sneak peak of cooler weather, so much so that we got to wear jeans and long sleeves to the show. 

          I did a bunch of clothing refurbishing and DIY projects this past week as well! I'll be doing some posts that will go up while i finish packing this week. Smiles, Morgen.

No comments:

Post a Comment